Search Engine Marketing
Approvals and notifications
- Will I be able to approve my leads page before it goes live?
No. The leads page content will come from the details provided on the free business profile page. Our search optimization specialists ensure the colour and content reflect your business.
- Can I get a notification indicating the actual start date of my campaign?
You will receive an e-mail confirmation from the Search Engine Solutions team, when your campaign is ready, that will include a link to your main landing page as well as the projected start date of the campaign. If you would like to make any changes to the page after having seen it, please contact your MAC or Client Services.
Call tracking number
- Can I buy a larger campaign ($500+/mo) and not use a call tracking number?
Yes. It is to your benefit to include a call tracking number, but if you wish to exclude it from the program, we can do that. The leads estimator tool includes leads that would normally come from customers calling into your business. If you do not want to include a tracked number, your reports will not show any leads that came in from calls off of the leads page, meaning actual leads may be below estimated leads.
- Can I use the same call tracking number in both my leads page and my print ad?
In order to provide a better level of tracking, the call tracking number used for SEM products should be unique to this advertising medium. By using it within multiple mediums, we will be unable to track what type of lead the call was (print or online). Also, with the flexibility of the campaign term for the search engine products, the two campaigns (print & SEM) may not be aligned. At the end of the SEM campaign term, the number will no longer be tracked.
- Can I buy the call measurement number at the end of the campaign?
No. We do not own these numbers and are unable to resell the numbers to our clients.
- Why isn't my call tracking number the same area code as my local number?
Whenever possible, we try to provide a call tracking number with the same area code and local exchange as your number; however, due to a limited number of lines, this is not always possible. The SMS team will always test to make sure a number is local before using it. For example, it's possible that an advertiser in Toronto has a 416 number, but that no 416 numbers are available at the time of the campaign development, and a 647 number is used instead. This 647 number will still be local to anyone for whom the 416 number would have been.
If it is impossible to provide any local numbers at all (this could be the case for certain smaller communities), then a toll free number will be used.
- How much time does it take to create an SEM campaign?
From the day we receive your signed agreement, the SEM campaign creation will take 30 days—including the campaign development, the leads page development and the call tracking programming (if applicable).
- Can I choose my own starting date for an SEM campaign?
Yes. You may choose any starting date after the regular 30-days creation time.
- Is there a process to modify the campaigns while they are up?
Yes. You can contact client services or your MAC to request a change. Please note that, on average, our team is instructed to not perform more than one change per month per client to control volume.
- What is the turnaround time for the changes requested?
The turnaround time is up to five business days with most requests handled within three days.
- Can I choose keywords and maximum bid prices?
No. Our search engine marketing specialists will select the best keywords and bids based on industry best practices, your business profile and campaign targets. If you want to suggest keywords, include them in the special customization notes field in the contract and they will be taken into consideration.
- Why don't I see the keywords I gave you in my top 10?
While we can include certain keywords in our search engine optimization campaigns, we cannot control the behaviour of internet users and consumers. These keywords may not be the keywords customers use to find you.
- Can you allocate my budget on one keyword?
We do not recommend this tactic as it may cause a drop in performance. Your customers are not always searching on one keyword for your services. Our specialists think creatively in order to get the most leads from the most sources possible.
- Can I focus my campaign on residential clients instead of commercial clients? (or vice versa)
Online traffic being what it is, we can target a specific industry or sector (commercial/residential) through the ads, but we cannot guarantee that most of the clicks will come from the desired sector.
- Why can't I see my ad?
There are different explanations for this. If your ad is geo-targeted in a region other than yours, you will not see it. The sponsored search results are not permanent placement so your ad might not show each time a user makes a keyword search or not show at all if the targeted media budget is delivered for that period.
Because of limited budget opportunities, your campaign cannot be online 24/7. We have allocated your monthly budget across hundreds of keywords and multiple distribution sources. As such, we have an algorithm that best allows for distribution of your budget. In fact, because you can't see your campaign online, it means that your budget is spent, and clients are visiting your site.
- What is SEM Solutions?
SEM Solutions, or Search Engine Marketing Solutions, is a product that includes three essential components: lead generation on the top three search engines in Canada (Google, Bing and Yahoo) as well as on multiple partner sites and display networks; an advertiser lead page optimized for the search engines; and a call tracking solution.
Lead estimator tool
- What are the lead estimates based on?
Lead estimates are formulated from our current YPG SEM results, search engine estimations and historic data from our search partners. With over 10,000 active SEM campaigns, we are able to make calculated estimates based on geography and region.
- If I decide that I don't want a leads page, where will my SEM campaign be redirected?
You can choose to not use a leads page and simply proxy your website (we can handle this for you but there may be some technical constraints) that will include a call tracking phone number. This means that we will mirror your site so we can track clicks. The reporting will include the clicks and calls tracking only. If you opt out of call tracking, the campaign will be directed to your website. If you do not have a website, we will need to create a leads page.
- Will my leads page include all information on all facets of my business?
This will depend on the campaign you select. If there are multiple facets and you want to track them separately, then multiple campaigns and leads pages are required.
- I'm wondering, why would I want a leads page for more business, rather than just using my own site?
The leads page is specifically designed to convert leads. It contains the information that your customers tend to look for when searching online. The design of the page ensures that all critical data is visible to the user as soon as they open the page.
The leads page also includes call tracking measures. If you want to use your own site, we can only track the features you currently have built into your site. We will not build additional pages onto your site to include tracking mechanisms (i.e. if you don't have an email link then we can't track it).
- How is the leads page optimized?
Leads pages are optimized from an on-page perspective. Off-page optimization is not included. This means that your page is structured and coded to be "search engine friendly" but nothing is done off of the page, such as link building, directory submission or article writing.
- Can links on search engines be directed to different pages within my leads page?
No, this is not possible. The leads page is a single page with multiple components that is designed to best convert traffic.
Proxy site (mirror site)
- My website includes Flash components and is quite large (i.e., many pages). Will you mirror everything on my site?
For the majority of websites that currently exist, we would not have a problem creating a proxy. There may be a few exceptions we will talk about during the campaign creation process. Flash, for instance, cannot be proxied, but this is only an issue if the majority of your site is built in Flash or if the phone number appears in the Flash portion of the site.
- My website includes large amounts of continually changing images & content or inventory. Will the proxy site reflect changes that I make to my site throughout the campaign term?
Yes. The proxy site is dynamic. As you change your content, the proxy site will auto update. The only difference between the two will be the tracking measurement (i.e., call tracking number and email). However, if the format of the content is changed, the proxy rules may no longer be valid (for example, if the telephone number goes from xxx-xxx-xxxx to xxx.xxx.xxxx). If this is the case, please contact client services or your MAC to request the change.
- Will the destination and the display URL be the same for this proxy site?
The route URL must be the same, but a search engine could show (display) a different tag than the actual destination (i.e. display of www.studio34.ca can be used for the destination of www.studio34.ca/design but not for a destination of www.studio34_design.com ).
- Will the visitor know that they have landed on a proxy site?
No. The site will look exactly the same as your site, with the exception of the call tracking number. The new website URL will be your original domain name, but will end in ".calls.net" instead of ".com / .ca".
Rates and campaigns
- What is the minimum amount I will need to pay for the SEM product?
Your minimum monthly budget for the SEM product is $300.
- Do I have to pay a management fee?
The fee for managing your account is included in the monthly cost of the campaign. You will not be billed an incremental amount for this.
- If I have two companies, should I purchase one or two campaigns?
You should purchase two campaigns since each company needs to have a distinctive leads page and a pay-per-click campaign adapted to your different businesses and locations.
- I have a seasonal business and want to invest more and generate more leads during a certain time of the year. Can you adjust my campaign so I spend more during the specific months I indicate?
Our SEM campaigns are designed to drive leads throughout the duration of your campaign's term. If you want to increase your advertising during a select few months, then your Media Account Consultant (MAC) could suggest two six-month contracts with different monthly investments, rather than a 12-month contract with a consistent investment. This would enable you to invest more resources during the half of the year that you need it most.
- I have a large business with multiple locations and phone numbers, are there any solutions specifically for me?
There are two options for the SEM product which may suit your needs.
- You may buy a separate campaign for each location—including a separate budget, lead page, free profile page, call tracking number, reporting and keywords strategy to the location.
- You may buy one SEM campaign that will drive to your proxy website—including one report and a keyword strategy combining all locations.
- Can you run a campaign for me while I am already running another AdWords campaign?
No. If both campaigns use the same keywords and are directed to the same website, then Google will display only one of the campaigns. Also, you'd be competing against yourself and artificially inflating your cost per click on your own campaign.
- What impact will running two campaigns have on my quality score?
There is no impact to the quality score, but there will be an increase in the CPC (cost per click).
- Can I have my keywords and ads?
The top performing keywords are available in Yellow Pages Analytics for all SEM campaigns as well as a sample of ads being used.
For $1000+ monthly SEM packages, you will be sent a copy of your campaign creative prior to the campaign going live, which includes keywords and ads. However, please note that keywords and ads are constantly being optimized and will change over the duration of the campaign. The important area to focus on is not the keywords and text, but rather the results being delivered by the campaign.
- Will the reports include people that went directly to the leads page/proxy site? Or will it only include people who accessed the leads page/proxy site directly from one of the SEM campaign links?
The clicks to the leads page will only reflect users who clicked on ads that are part of the SEM campaign. Visits will include people who landed on the leads page from any source. Other actions on the page, such as calls, or e-mails could come from users who arrived at the leads page through some other method.
- Will lead conversions be included in my report?
No. We cannot track the leads that your business converted into sales. We can deliver leads to your door, but it's up to you to convert them into customers. Our mechanisms cannot track this.
- Can I select which search engine I want my business to appear on?
No. Our team of search marketing specialists (SMS) will build a campaign that best suits your needs and budget. It is important to remember that a lead is a lead, no matter where the person was originally searching.